We, as members of Our Lady of Good Counsel Church, Strive to witness to the good news of Jesus Christ by Proclaiming our faith, Educating ourselves and our children, Sharing our persons, resources, and gifts in the care and service of one another. We are called to foster an environment of hospitality in accordance with the Spirituality of St. Francis de Sales.
Originally, all of the widespread area of OLGC was a part of St. James Parish in Falls Church. As St. James became overcrowded, His Excellency Bishop Peter L. Ireton of Richmond established a new parish for the Vienna-Pimmit Hills area which would be located on 23 acres in Vienna that the Diocese had previously purchased. Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish began in November 1955 with 750 families and the Reverend Albert P. Campbell, a diocesan priest, as pastor. The first Masses were held in the Dunn Loring Firehouse. Soon after, a chapel and parish center was built on the second floor of Frank Gadell's Food Locker.
After Father Campbell became too ill to continue as pastor, Bishop Ireton asked the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales to assume the administration of the parish. On September 1, 1956, Reverend Joseph C. Toy, O.S.F.S., was named pastor. On Sunday, January 6, 1957, two years after the formation of Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish, ground was broken for a Chapel (the present day library and former gym of Our Lady of Good Counsel School), a school facility with eight classrooms to accommodate children to the sixth grade, and a temporary Rectory.
The following year, the Frink house on one acre of land was purchased for a priests' residence, replacing the temporary
facilities located in the back of the school. The Frink house, which was constructed in 1835, was owned by Mrs. Ada Frink, the
founder and first president of the Altar and Rosary Society (now known as
The Women of OLGC).
In 1958, eight more classrooms and the Counsel Room (cafeteria) were added to the school facility as well as a convent to
house the Sisters of St. Joseph who taught there.
In August of 1963, Father Raymond McKone, O.S.F.S., succeeded Father Toy as pastor. Just ten months later, Father Edmond P. McCarthy, O.S.F.S., was named pastor. On May 25, 1965, His Excellency Bishop John J. Russell declared that approximately 750 OLGC families (about half the size of the parish at that time), along with two other parishes, would form the new parish of St. Mark, located on Vale Road on the west side of Vienna. Fr. McCarthy continued to lead OLGC until his death in 1968. In January 1969, Father Edward J. Corcoran, O.S.F.S., came to assume the pastorate of Our Lady of Good Counsel.
Under Father Corcoran's leadership, a new church was built and dedicated on March 10, 1973. A separate 3-bell tower rises in front of the church to peal its welcome to arriving worshipers. The largest bell weighing 1,480 pounds is inscribed "Our Lady of Good Counsel Church, Vienna, Virginia, November 1972, 'Henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.'"
- The medium bell, weighing 704 pounds, says: "Live + Jesus - 'I am come that they may have life and have it more abundantly.'" The smallest weighs 400 pounds and reads "St. Joseph - St. Jude - St. Francis de Sales - Pray for us." In 1977, the old Frink house was torn down and a new Rectory and Parish Administration Building was erected.
In June of 1985, Reverend John T. Gavin, O.S.F.S., was assigned to Our Lady of Good Counsel as pastor. Under his direction the parish was one of the first in the diocese to computerize its accounting and parish record keeping. In addition, he set up committees to begin to explore the future needs of the parish. This process was the groundwork for the ultimate approval of the parish to its major facility expansion which began in 2000.
In July of 1991, Reverend Francis W. Danella, O.S.F.S., was named pastor and strengthened the consultative process by formalizing the role of the Pastoral and Finance Councils. He also established a formalized budget process. Fr. Danella expanded the parish ministries, placing a strong emphasis on liturgy and the Spirituality of St. Francis de Sales. In addition, under his guidance an Annual Parish Auction and Dinner was begun which has helped fund virtually every facility repair and improvement since that time.
In September 1996, Reverend John M. O'Neill, O.S.F.S., was installed as Pastor. Under his direction, the parish made major repairs and improvements to the school including the construction of a new science lab. He implemented a study of parish needs with the result that the parish began a Capital Campaign to fund major improvements and additions to parish facilities. As part of this initiative, the parish began to make additional improvements to the school including a new library and computer classroom, a new regulation-sized gym (one of the best in the Diocese), a chapel, and a multipurpose facility with lower classrooms.
In July 2004, Reverend William J. Metzger, O.S.F.S., became pastor and oversaw the completion of the new facilities, as well as the naming of the chapel as Sacred Heart Chapel, the multipurpose building as De Sales Hall, the gym in honor of the founder of the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales, Blessed Louis Brisson, and the renaming of the former Parish Center (now the St. Joseph’s Center) in honor of the Sisters of St. Joseph who staffed Our Lady of Good Counsel School from its inception in 1955 until 1987.
Building on the work of Fr. Danella and Fr. O’Neill, Fr. Metzger has strengthened the parish’s identity with the charism of the Spirituality of St. Francis de Sales and St. Jane de Chantal, expanded worship opportunities for the school, and expanded the Christian Formation program to become focused on Lifelong Christian Formation including deeper integration with the ongoing catechesis in the school. He increased the scope of the youth ministry program to include young adults and Jr. High and the Jr. High Workcamp, which increased the service opportunities for the Confirmation candidates. Fr. Metzger also increased the support of those in need by adding a monthly food drive to stock the local food bank, increased the support for our St. Vincent de Paul Society and the Shepherd’s Center, as well as supported a Pro-Life program to enable a local Pregnancy Health Center to become a licensed medical clinic which will provide ultrasound services to clients. Following the increase in facilities the parish, hosts a greater diversity of worship services, social events, and Diocesan meetings.
In May 2012, the Church & School unveiled the new Our Lady of Good Counsel logo image and re-designed websites. The image permeates with light and life, with the halo imagery being clean and pure showing the holiness of the Mother and Child. Mary is strong but caring, the Baby Christ looks affectionately into the eyes of His mother. The logo & websites bring continuity and unity to our community and help us remember that we always bring the Gospel into a world that is ever moving into the future.
In September 2016, Bishop Loverde installed
Father Matthew Hillyard as OLGC's new pastor.