A Roman Catholic devotion is a gift (total or partial) of oneself, or one's activities to God. It is a willingness and desire to dedicate oneself to serve God, either in terms of prayers or in terms of a set of pious acts such as the adoration of God or the veneration of the saints or the Virgin Mary. Roman Catholic devotions are "external practices of piety" which are not part of the official liturgy of the Catholic Church but are part of the popular spiritual practices of Catholics. The Congregation for Divine Worship at the Vatican publishes a Directory of devotions and pious practices.
Devotions at OLGC - refer to monthly calendar for any changes
- Rosary: All weekdays after 8:30am Mass
- Evening Prayer: On the first Monday of the month at 7pm we gather together as a parish community to pray Evening Prayer in the Chapel. It will be followed by a light reception in the Narthex. During Advent and Lent it occurs every Monday night.
- Miraculous Medal Novena: Tuesdays after 8:30am Mass
- Holy Hour - Eucharistic Adoration in the evenings: Occurs at 7pm every 2nd Wednesday of the month. There will be guided reflections and worship led by members of The Restless as well as times of quiet and stillness.
- Eucharistic Adoration: Eucharistic Adoration occurs in the Chapel on the first Friday of the month from September - May after the 8:30am Mass and continues until 4pm. Sign up for a Holy Hour using the SignUp Genius link on calendar or the sheet outside the Chapel starting on the Tuesday prior. We prefer to have at least two people signed up for a holy hour.
- Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus: First Fridays, Consecration to the Sacred Heart at morning Mass (Sept - June)
- Stations of the Cross: Fridays during Lent at 2:15pm and 7:30pm
Our Lady of Fatima: First Saturdays after 8:30am Mass
- Devotional Candles in Chapel - To "light a candle for someone" indicates one's intention to say a prayer for another person, and the candle symbolizes that prayer. The candles are 3-day candles with a suggested donation of $5.
- Sanctuary Candles - Click for form below
- Mass Intentions - Click for form below
Contact: Gerard Hall, Director of Liturgy, 703.896.7411