On March 20 beginning at 9am in DeSales Hall our parish will fill "power packs" for the 2nd time this school year. In December, with the help of the OLGC school children, we filled 500 packs. We hope to exceed that amount this month.
Many Fairfax County school children do not have sufficient food at home to carry them through a weekend. These "power packs" supply a child with breakfast, lunch, snack, & dinner for the 2 weekend days. Currently, Food for Others gives out approximately 67,000 "power packs" to children in 26 Fairfax County Elementary Schools.
Here's how you can help: Use this link to sign up to Donate Food
Donate non-perishable foods (especially lunch & dinner items) no later than March 18th to the Administration Building. Food for Others is in serious need of the following items for the Power Packs (note: nothing that has to be cooked can be accepted):
- Individual Oatmeal packets in all flavors: Apples & Cinnamon, Maple & Brown Sugar, or plain
- Cereal - individual serving size boxes (0.75oz-1.2oz): Froot Loops, Pops, Raisin Brand, etc.
- Granola Bars – Milk 'n Cereal bars, Nutri Grain bars
For Lunch and/or Dinner (all single serving/kid sizes):
- Mac & Cheese cups: Velveeta and Kraft
- Tuna Salad & Chicken Salad Kits with crackers: Bumble Bee
- Hormel "Compleats for Kids" Meals (best price is at WalMart)
- Chef Boyardi: Beefaroni, Ravioli, Spaghetti & Meatballs, chicken and rice etc. (single/kid serving sizes)
- Fruit cups (in their own juice)
- Cheese & crackers (no peanut butter), Goldfish crackers
- Applesauce Squeeze packets (all flavors)
- Fruit Snacks (i.e. Welch's)
- Granola Bars (i.e. Nature's Valley) & Chewy Bars (i.e. Quakers)
- 100% Fruit juice boxes
- Capri Sun juices packets
- Shelf stable milk (Horizon and Yoo Hoo have individual boxes in chocolate, strawberry, vanilla & regular)
- No glass containers, please!
To help with "Power Packs," Lamb Center or Funeral Luncheons email Women of OLGC. We would love to add your name to our contacts for these important ministries.