Information on the Sexual Abuse Crisis
Keep all victims of sexual abuse in your thoughts and prayers.
Brothers and sisters, ask the Lord for strength to fight for our Catholic Church, to lead and never think of leaving the Church. Do not abandon Jesus because of Judas. Do like Saul who became Paul called by Jesus to proclaim his Church in our lives. - OLGC Parishioner
OLGC information, responses and messages:
- Next presentation will be on Wed. June 12th with Fr. Isenberg, Director of Vocations for the Diocese of Arlington.
- OLGC Advocates for Church & Transparency group (OLGC ACT) meet twice a month on Thursdays in the School Library - check calendar for details. Contact: email@example.com
- Fr. Tom Ferguson, Vicar General of the Diocese of Arlington joined us on Feb 26th.
- Fr. Matt's Musing regarding topic
- Washington Post article December 21, 2018
- Response letter from Bishop Burbidge
- Response letter from Bishop Doherty, Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana
- Response statement from the Office of the Apostolic Nunciature "...We accept their petition as a rebuke, thank them for their faithfulness, and earnestly ask for their support and insight in righting the wrongs as we move forward. Thank you for your priestly ministry, and thanks to the faithful of the parish for their care and concern for the Church we all love..."
- OLGC's petition sent to the US Conference of Bishops and Papal Nuncio
- Topics for future gatherings, temas en español
- Summary from October 30th meeting and presentation, y resumen en español
- Questions and Answers that were raised over the last month, updated 10/4/18 preguntas en español
- Summary from the September 24th meeting y resumen en español
- Summary of Topics from the August 28th Prayer Service
- Resumen del servicio de oración realizado el día 28 de agosto del 2018
- Letter from Russ Weaver, President of OLGC Pastoral Council
- Fr. Matt's Musings dated Aug. 17 & Aug. 24th: https://www.olgcva.org/about-us/welcome
- Oblates of St. Francis deSales website: Responds to questions on healing from abuse
- VIRTUS® - Program OLGC & Diocese uses to better control risk & improve the lives of all those who interact with the Church.
Catholic Diocese of Arlington:Office of Child Protection website: www.arlingtondiocese.org/childprotection
- April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month (en español)
- Diocese of Arlington Releases Names of Priests Credibly Accused of Sexual Abuse of a Minor
- Diocese Evenings with the Bishop Hope & Healing for Victims & Survivors Feb 1st and April 29th
- October 30th Letter from Bishop Burbidge
- Frequently asked Questions and Answers (pdf version 2-13-19)
- Listen to Bishop's podcasts https://www.arlingtondiocese.org/Bishop/Walk-Humbl...
- How to report sexual abuse in the Diocese of Arlington
- Diocesan Review Board
- See important notices regarding diocesan clergy and employees
- Annual Reports
- Bishop Burbidge's interview on WJLA
- Interview of Deacon Marques Silva, Director of Diocesan Child Protection Office & Dr. Frank Moncher of the diocesan Victims Assistance Office Diocese of Arlington - "What changed after the 2002 abuse crisis"
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops:
- Letter from Pope Francis to the Bishops
- USCCB News Releases
- USCCB Office of Child & Youth Protection
- USCCB 2017 Annual Report on the Implementation of the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People
Resources: Provided as general information and does not imply endorsement or support of any of the linked information.
- Healing the Breach of Trust at The Catholic University
- The PA Grand-Jury Report: Not What It Seems article in Commonweal Magazine
- Massimo Faggioli: Electing bishops will not solve the church's problems article in America
- Eight lessons to help us move forward from the sex abuse crisis article in America
- The Causes and Context of Sexual Abuse of Minors by Catholic Priests in the United States, 1950-2010 A Report Presented to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops by the John Jay College Research Team
- Bishop's Accountability website
- U.S. Catholic Priests Petition: Open Letter to the US Conference of Catholic Bishops from Laity, Priests, Deacons and Religious that all can sign
- Better Church Governance Inc. website and Facebook page
- The People of God Respond Petition: Petition to Pope Francis
- Crisis in the Church: How Can We Heal Our Broken Hearts?
- Co-Workers in the Kingdom: How and Why the Laity Must Boldly Respond to the Current Church Crisis
- A Priest Responds to the Catholic Church's 'Summer of Shame' article in the National Review
- Clery-Abuse Survivors Weigh in on Child Protection Efforts article on Virtus® online
Many people expressed gratitude to Fr. Matt, Fr. John and the staff for having these meetings and allowing their voices to be heard. If you have topics or ideas on this please email them. As always you can communicate directly with Fr. Matt anytime.
Things we can do, because WE are the answer, and are needed more than ever:
- Avoid saying anything that could seem to diminish the seriousness of these revelations. We as a Church, especially those who are leaders, need to own the crimes that took place both in the abuse and the cover-up.
- Listen patiently and don't feel you need to provide solutions to people's anger and their grief.
- After listening, point them to the One who alone is trustworthy, the One who alone is our Savior and the Hope of the Church. Help them to see that it is in this same Church, the Body of Christ, so wounded in her members, where Jesus has chosen to dwell. Jesus is still present in Word and Sacrament and in the many amazing signs of holiness in her members.
- Do what you do best: Be who you and be that perfectly well in your ministries, in your volunteering, and in your everyday work and daily tasks.