As a child, Francis de Sales would arrange his playmates around the baptismal font and say to them:
This is the spot that ought to be dearest to you, for it was here that we were made children of God…
As a Sacrament of Initiation, this step of Baptism carries with it the commitment of the parents and sponsors (godparents) to share their faith. Faith that is actively lived and experienced will be more easily learned by the child as he/she sees it through the parent’s involvement and commitment. If a child ages 7-18 or an adult is seeking baptism you are invited to take part in the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) or the RCIA adapted for Children.
- Parents requesting baptism for their children should be registered members of the parish. If you are not a registered parishioner of the OLGC community, a letter of permission from your pastor (parish of where you are registered) is required. If you would like to register at OLGC click here.
- Baptisms are ordinarily celebrated on the first and third Saturdays of every month at 11:00 am. Baptisms can also be celebrated during a weekend Mass Saturday 5 pm, Sunday 9:30 am, 11:15 am, 1 pm en español or 5:30 pm. However during the seasons of Advents and Lent, baptisms are celebrated only on one Saturday and not during weekend Masses. Check church website calendar for available dates.
- At least one sponsor (Godparent) is necessary for baptism. The sponsor must be at least 16 years of age, a fully initiated Catholic (Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation), who is actively participating in the faith, and if married have their marriage recognized by the Catholic Church. A sponsor form stating that she/he is a Catholic in good standing is required of all sponsors. This should be in the parish office prior to the baptism date being confirmed. Click here for more information to Request a Letter of Good Standing.
- Parents and sponsors who have not attended a Baptismal Preparation Session in the past 3 years are required to take it before the Baptism. Though it is recommended to take it at OLGC, the class can be taken anywhere, but OLGC will require proof of attendance from the parish the class is taken at. OLGC has sessions on the last Monday of the month at 7:30 pm in the St. Joseph Center. Click button below to register for session.
- The date for the baptism will not be confirmed until all paperwork has been received.
Contact: Gerard Hall, Director of Liturgy, 703.896.7411