2021-2022 1st Reconciliation & 1st Eucharist Details
1st Reconciliation and 1st Eucharist Formation and Preparation
We are excited to journey with your family as your child prepares for the sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist! Please see below for our timeline and other important information.
September 2021-May 2022 Ongoing Formation: Your child’s participation in OLGC school religion classes, CCF sessions, Emmaus sessions (for older children), or another Catholic School to prepare for the sacraments and continue their formation in the Catholic Faith is essential and required before reception of the sacraments.
Please continue to take your child to Mass on Sundays, which is the most important preparation to receive Jesus in the Eucharist!
November 2021- January 2022: Commitment Form, Parent Formation and Baptismal Certificates Due.
1. Commitment Form. If it is your intention for your child to prepare for the reception of 1st Reconciliation and 1st Eucharist in Spring 2022, please click here to fill out the Commitment Form by December 1st.
2. Baptismal Certificate. Please submit a copy of your child’s Baptismal Certificate to OLGC School or Parish Administration Building if you have not done so already. If your child was baptized at OLGC, no need to submit a copy. Please submit no later than December 1st.
3. Parent Formation. Your own continued formation in the faith is essential as you journey with your child to the sacraments. You brought your child forward for Baptism and gave them the beautiful gift of Baptism and Life in Christ. You also promised to take the faith for them and raise them in the Catholic Tradition. You, as their parents, are their primary educators in the faith, and hold the wonderful responsibility of guiding them ever closer to Christ. We are asking at least one parent, ideally both parents, from each family to complete the following to refresh and renew your own knowledge about the sacraments:
- 1. Episodes 1-3
- 2. The episode on preparing your child for 1st Confession
- For 1st Eucharist: Watch the following from Presence: https://watch.formed.org/presence
- 1. Episodes 1-3
- 2. The episode on preparing your child for 1st Holy Communion
After watching the 8 episodes mentioned above, please answer these 3 short reflection questions no later than Monday, January 24, 2022: Click here.
4. Formed.org. If you do not already have a formed.org account, please see the instructions at the end of this email on how to create a free account.
January 2022 Parent Meetings: Please mark your calendar for one of our 1st Reconciliation and 1st Eucharist Parent Meetings. We will have two options: Thursday, January 27th at 7 pm in DeSales Hall or Monday, January 31st at 7 pm via Zoom. More details will be sent to you in early January 2022.
February 2022-March 2022 1st Reconciliation: Parents will take their children to the Sacrament of Reconciliation at one of our regularly scheduled times during Lent (Saturdays at 9 am or Wednesdays at 6:30 pm in the Church) or by making an appointment with one of the priests. The SignUpGenius for 1st Reconciliation will be sent to you following the January Parent Meeting. Families will check in at the Welcome Desk in the Narthex. Don't forget to pick up your 1st Eucharist Banner kit!
March 26, 2022 1st Eucharist Retreat: This retreat will take place at OLGC from 9 am to 12:30 pm. Drop off and pick up will take place at the Counsel Room of the School Building. More details will be shared at the parent meeting in January.
April 2022 Final Preparation: Parents, as the primary educators of the faith, are ultimately the ones to determine if your child is ready for the sacraments. Your child should be able to identify the Eucharist as the True Presence of Jesus Christ-Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity and he/she should have a desire to receive Jesus in the Eucharist. If you ever feel that your child is not ready, no problem to delay.
1st Eucharist Rehearsal: More information will be shared at the January Parent Meeting.
1st Eucharist Masses: Save the date for Saturday, May 7th. More information will be shared at the January Parent Meeting.
Instructions to create a free account on Formed.org:
1. Go to formed.org
2. Click on Sign Up
3. Select “Sign Up as A Parishioner”
4. Search for Our Lady of Good Counsel
5. Select Our Lady of Good Counsel 8601 Wolftrap Rd, Vienna VA
6. Create an account.
Questions? Please contact Guadalupe Saenz, Faith Formation Office Assistant, at 703-896-7415 or email@example.com or Amy MacKinnon, CCF Coordinator, at 703-896-7426 or firstname.lastname@example.org.